Worried about falling?
Come along to the FREE Stepping On falls prevention program
Stepping On is an exciting initiative of the NSW Department of Health, presented by Adssi HomeLiving Australia. This free program is designed for older people who are living independently in the community at home and who have fallen or are fearful of falling. Participation in Stepping On gives older people the confidence to undertake their everyday activities more safely and independently, to reduce their risk of falling.
Coordinator Fay Huckstepp said participants will learn exercises to improve strength and balance and practical ways to reduce the risk of falling. “The program is run over 7 weeks so it’s also a great way to meet a new group of people”, she explained.
Next programs start August 2018
- LONG JETTY program commences Tuesday 7th August until Tuesday 11th September ( 7 weeks) from 10am to 12.00pm , Uniting Church, Long Jetty
Registration is essential – please call 1300 578 478
Participants must meet certain criteria including:
- 65 years and older and living at home
- Able to walk independently or with a walking stick
- Fearful of falling or has fallen recently
- This program is not suitable for people with dementia or neuromuscular conditions
Facts About Falls:
- 1 in 3 people aged 65 years and over fall each year
- Falls are the leading cause of hospital admissions for trauma and deaths of older people
- 35% of people who fall become less active
- Falls can reduce mobility and independence
- Remaining active can prevent you from falling